Countdown to next Birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, April 6, 2009

Nate's Doctor's appt.


WARNING: LONG POST


This morning Nathan had a Doctor's appt. to get a TB shot for preschool. I was apprehensive about going because he is not a huge fan of the doctor. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot he tried to convince me to let him stay in the truck. "Mommy goes, Nate stays." I told him we would be fast, he wouldn't get hurt, and Mommy would keep him safe. So, with Pooh Bear in 1 arm and a guitar magnet ("sword") in the other he got out of the truck.


He made me carry him into the office and continue to hold for a few minutes. This was totally unlike Nate, who enjoys freedom and loves to walk everywhere. Thank goodness for those 10 minutes because the M.A.'s he was flirting with put him at ease. He finally let me put him down so he could continue to make goo goo eyes and smile at them.


Nathan didn't want to get weighed or measured, but good Ol' Pooh Bear helped us out. I said, "Show Pooh what a big boy you are". It worked like magic. Weight: 29 lbs. Height: 37 in. In 2 months he gained 2 lbs. and 1 inch. Wow!!!!!!! What a big guy!


The doctor said he is a little bit above average for his weight...finally! And he is ABOVE average for his height. She is very please with how he is growing and how healthy he is.


He loved all of the Doctor stuff. But didn't like getting his ears checked, heart checked, and wouldn't open his mouth for her. He did like when she used the chicken on his leg to check his reflexes. He laughed and asked her to do it again.


When the doctor asked him if he took vitamins I said, "YES!" Nate said, "NO!" Of course, he does, but he thinks they are called medicine. But she looked at me kind of funny. So on Wednesday when we go back I'm going to take his vitamins with us to show her that half of the bottle is gone.


Now the time had come to get his TB shot. I told him before the MA came in that she was going to give him a shot and it would pinch a little and then a bubble would be on his arm. He kept telling me that I was silly and that there wasn't a bubble on his arm. When she came in he was drawing pictures on the paper for Dr. Joshi and really didn't care what was going to happen. Thank goodness for distractions because this was the 1st time that Nate sat all by himself while he got a shot. When she put the needle in his arm he looked briefly at it and kept drawing. Then I told him to look at the bubble on his arm. He gave her the pen and was laughing at the bubble he saw. With a smile he said, "silly bubble."


The MA put a bugs bunny bandaid on his arm and gave him a sheep Easter sticker. He is now checking Pooh's ears, reflexes, and heart. He told me that Pooh won't open his mouth. I feel like I'm reliving his appt.


I love that as he gets older he's more expressive and can tell me more. This was definitely a memorable (in a good way) doctor's office visit. So now I guess I need to buy him a Doctor's kit. Doctor Nathan Uribe...I like the sound of that!!!



post signature

1 comment:

Aunt Teresea said...

Shaun,our oldest, was older than Nate; when he was in the hospital about 1st grade the person that drew blood from him scared him and he became afraid of shots.